Wednesday, December 23, 2015

All New X-Men 01 (2016) Dennis Hopeless & Mark Bagley

Good evening guys! It's almost midnight where I live and I just finished reading All New X-Men 01 (the new #1? I'm not totally sure what warranted the need for a new #1 but okay?)

There are spoilers for the issue inside, but I try to keep them minor. 

love all of this



All New X-Men 01 is shaping up to be an old school road trip story  that's lacking Jean Grey (She's on Storms Extraordinary team if you miss her) but giving us an equally awesome team in Scott, Bobbie, Hank, Warren, Wolverine (Laura Kinney), Kid Apocalypse and Oya (Idie Okonkwo or The Girl Who Wouldn't Burn)

The X-men were the first major Marvel canon I followed. It started with X-men Evolution re-runs on CN (writing fanfiction and shipping muties) and quickly progressed to TPB's and back issues during the Chuck Austen era (Pretty dismal, though it led to much better things and I'm glad to say I was around for some really excellent runs on the various x-books)

This book is very cool! It feels like old school comic hijinks are brewing, and the action is already bananas,

(I also love the focus on Scott Summers because he's always been one of my favorite comic book characters, and I particularly like the additional internal struggle while Young Scott deals with the actions of Old Scott)

It reminds me of the road tripping that Claremonts team did back in the 70's (which I read in those big, cheap and beautiful Essential X-Men TPB's)

This is a really poor place to jump on, though, if you're not familiar with the All New X-Men and this being a #1 should maybe have done more to catch up with the characters and their story lines. If I had picked this up as a 13 year old newbie, I would be a little confused. I miss those old school editorial notes! Or the way characters would randomly provide huge chunks of background information.

Anyway: You should read this, Hank's tour bus is sick but know a little bit about the above mentioned cast before you start this book!

Hanks bus is so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment